Thought leader Michael Kerr is an expert on workplace culture and has been researching, speaking and writing on the subject for more than 20 years. His keynotes inspire leaders and provide ways to drive top results.
He is known as one of North America’s leading speakers on creating high-performing, service-first cultures. His high energy, hilarious, inspiring, and thought-provoking programs are often rated as having the greatest impact and relevance of any presentation at a conference, which is why Michael has been listed as one of Canada’s most requested business speakers.
Michael has delivered his captivating keynote presentations and training workshops to more than 3,000 audiences, from Austria to Australia, from Boston to Bermuda, from Cleveland to Calgary.
His presentations offer relevant, practical ideas delivered with his memorable brand of clean humor. His ideas on building better workplace cultures have been featured in hundreds of publications worldwide, while his Inspiring Workplaces blog has been recognized as one of the top-30 workplace blogs in the world.
Putting Humour to Work for Less Stress and More Success!
Why This Topic?
Highly successful organizations understand that humour in the workplace both refl ects a strong culture and creates a less stressful, more innovative work environment with higher levels of employee engagement, retention, and morale. As Michael will tell your audience, there is nothing trivial about this topic: humour helps people succeed at an individual, team, and organizational level. Humour is one of the most powerful stress-busters available, and it’s a resource that can boost morale, improve workplace communication, spark creative thinking, enhance customer service, and increase productivity.
Why Your Event?
Many of Michael’s clients choose this topic because its universal messages and clean humour make it a great kickoff or closing experience. And because it’s different than what many people have seen before, it’s a great way to shake things up at your meeting, energize people, and create a truly memorable event!
To deliver as much relevant, practical content and inspiring ideas as possible, but in a fun (sometimes even hilariously outrageous) way so the ideas stick! The presentation includes door prizes (usually copies of one of Michael’s books), as well as digital resources and e-books for you to use as you see fit.
Key Messages in Putting Humour to Work for Less Stress and More Success
• Attitude rules: The two fundamental attitude choices people make every day at work
• Building a culture that champions the role of attitude in success
• The humour advantage: How humour can help drive individual, team, and organizational success and why there’s nothing trivial about humour, fun, and happiness in the workplace
• The chicken-and-egg relationship between humour and success:How humour is both a tool FOR great success AND the product of greater success at work
• Why honoring workplace values such as humour is the key to success
• What humour at work is NOT about: No, it’s not about telling jokes, being funny, being unprofessional, or being the offi ce clown
• What humour at work IS about: Practicing safe, professional humour that encourages people to take themselves lightly so they can work more effectively than ever
• Flexing your funny bone: How accidental humour can boost your humour sense
• Three effective Rs of putting humour to work to manage stress, change, and confl ict in the workplace
• Why humour can lower absenteeism rates, promote a safer workplace, and be part of a successful workplace wellness program
• The impact of your workplace culture on employee morale, engagement, and teamwork, and how humour can help create a culture of recognition and celebration
• The importance of creating rituals and traditions in the workplace to build a strong culture
• The humour advantage as a customer service tool: How humour can help brand your business and wow your clients by helping you stand out from the herd
• Using humour to communicate more effectively: How humour helps build trust and relationships at work, helps your messages stand out, and turns your meetings into events that people actually look forward to!
• Ha + Ha = AHA! Why humour is considered one of the top catalysts for creative thinking
• Getting started: Okay, so what next? How do you build a more fun, humour-fi lled workplace culture? How do your turn Michael’s inspiring ideas into long-term success?
Inspiring Workplaces – The Way Work OUGHT to Be!
Why this Topic?
Leadership guru Peter Drucker once said, “Culture eats strategy for breakfast.” And for good reason: Workplace culture drives success, and successful organizations don’t leave their culture to chance. If you want phenomenal results, it starts by being intentional about building a great workplace culture. People don’t just want to be inspired at work, they need to be inspired at work.
Why Your Event?
Inspiring Workplaces is a fun, high-energy presentation that challenges conventional thinking about the workplace and reminds people of the vital role work plays in our lives. Because the presentation takes a holistic look at the workplace, Michael touches on many different topics, which means that everyone will fi nd something that resonates with them. And because it’s the “40,000-foot view” of the workplace, the program will tie into almost any event theme.
To deliver as much relevant, practical content and inspiring ideas on how to build a fun, positive, high-performing culture as possible, and deliver those ideas in a fun (sometimes even hilariously outrageous) way so the ideas stick! The presentation includes door prizes (usually copies of one of Michael’s books), as well as digital resources and e-books for you to use as you see fit.
Key Messages in Inspiring Workplaces
• Why work matters: The impact of work on our lives, our families, and our communities
• What is culture? Inspiring questions to take back to your workplace
• Three key ways to build a culture of positive attitude
• What really motivates people at work: Turning employees into life-long ambassadors for your organization
• Co-creating an inspiring, collective vision and keeping the flame alive
• Valuing your workplace values: Why actions really do speak louder than words and why embracing your values should make you feel uncomfortable at times
• Creating a “service fi rst” culture and the relationship between service, teamwork, and leadership
• Inspiring open and honest communication: It’s not just what you say, it’s how you say things that matters!
• Moving from complaining to explaining
• Why there’s nothing small about small talk at work
• The difference between effi cient communication and effective communication
• You’ve GOT to start meeting like this!
• Three reasons you need to create a culture that values creativity, change, and innovation; three ways to foster more creativity at work
• Putting humour to work for less stress and more success
• Creating a culture of recognition and continuous celebration:What really motivates and engages employees at work
• Being intentional about your workplace culture: Keeping the messages and inspiration alive
This is a list of messages that are covered in a half, full-day, or two-day workshop. For a shorter keynote presentation, Michael does his best to highlight the messages most relevant to you!
Inspiring Leadership:Creating a Purpose-Driven, Values-Based, Innovative and Yes, Fun Culture for a 21st-Century Workforce
Why This Topic?
Culture drive success. When I ask inspiring leaders from around the world what’s been more important to their success – business strategy or culture, 95% say it’s their culture.
But great cultures don’t happen by accident. An inspiring culture requires a dedicated commitment by every leader in an organization. The Human Capital Institute suggests that 70% of a leaders’ time should be focussed on talent development and culture building – culture is just that important. So if you want an inspiring culture, there’s no getting around it – you need to invest in making that happen!
Why Invest in Inspiring Leadership Training?
Providing your leaders with the insights, inspiration and tools to focus intentionally on building an inspiring culture will help you:
• Build a culture that delivers better bottom line business results
• Foster a culture that will attract more employees who are a better fi t for your organization
• Improve your employee retention rates and reduce employee absenteeism rates
• Build greater resiliency in the face of unexpected change
• Build a culture where leaders and employees actively seek out change, challenge assumptions, and become restless with the status quo
• Build a culture that thrives on ideas and turning ideas into action
• Build a culture that puts people fi rst and service fi rst
• Reduce silos and improve teamwork
• Reduce stress and confl ict in the workplace
• Increase happiness levels of nearly everyone in your workplace (“nearly everyone” because, let’s be honest, no matter what you do, there’s just no pleasing some people)
What Participants Will Learn
With dozens of real-world, relevant examples, participants will learn:
• Why culture is everything and everything is culture
• 5 questions to keep asking about your culture
• Leadership vs. manager-ship: What’s the difference and why does it matter?
• How your culture connects with your branding
• Recruiting and hiring: Why fi nding the right people is critical, hiring for attitude, and hiring for a culture fi t
• The on-boarding process: How to teach your culture to new employees
• The role of mentoring, training, and coaching in building a strong culture
• Being on purpose: Why “why” matters now more than ever and why your vision statement might be giving everyone a case of the “blahs”
• Shifting attitudes: Shifting employees from a job mindset to a calling mindset
• Valuing your values: How to communicate your values, celebrate your values, and make sure your values actually mean something
• Motivating the troops: Why money isn’t always honey, what most organizations get dead wrong about this topic, and 5 powerful Ps for more effective motivation
• Customer service is an inside job: Creating a “service-first” culture where everyone understands that some of their most important customers are sitting right next to them
• Communication is everything and everything is communication:Shifting from being merely effi cient to being truly effective with your communication
• Getting your meetings right. How daily team huddles can strengthen your culture and why getting your meetings “right” is critical
• How to drive more creativity and innovation: Building a culture that challenges assumptions, questions everything, creates a safe space for ideas, and turns passion and ideas into action
• The humour advantage: Why leaders need to demonstrate a healthy sense of humour and how humour both drives and reflects an inspiring culture
• Five effective ways to jumpstart a culture shift
Inspiring Change at Work:
How to Drive Innovation, Spark Creativity, and Turn Ideas Into Action
Why This Topic?
Every one of my client tells me they are grappling with unprecedented levels of change in their organization. To which I respond, “Welcome to the club!” Without question the pace of change is accelerating. You have three choices:Innovate and lead the change, adapt to the change that’s happening around you, or… settle for the status quo and eventually put a “FOR SALE” sign up on your business.
But here’s the deal: Change isn’t something that happens periodically – you need to build it into your cultural DNA so your leaders and employees understand that change is a welcome, positive and necessary force in your organization. You need to equip them with tools that will help them be more resilient in the face of change.
Because ideas are the currency of success that drive change forward it’s essential that you nurture a culture that supports creativity and innovation. You need ideas – both big and small, that will help you lead change and adapt to change. You need ideas that will help you stand out from the herd. And you need ideas that will help you achieve the results you deserve and the results you need!
Why Your Event?
Whether it’s a thought-provoking keynote or an interactive breakout session or workshop, this presentation is sure to get your participants thinking in new ways and fi red up about the challenges they face.
To deliver as much relevant, practical content, and inspiring ideas on how to build a culture of creativity that’s more resilient to change, but deliver those ideas in a fun, sometimes hilariously outrageous way, so the ideas stick! The presentation includes door prizes (typically copies of one of Michael’s books), as well as a suite of on-line resources for you to use as you see fit.
Key Messages in Inspiring Change at Work
• So… what’s new? The unprecedented pace of change and why you should care
• Three ways you need to change how you look at change
• Communicating for a change
• Three reasons why you need to be in the business of ideas
• Is the workplace really a place where ideas go to die?
• Creating a culture and mindset that questions the status quo, that challenges assumptions and that drives curiosity
• Inspiring questions for inspiring workplaces
• What a great idea! How to get more ideas and better ideas
• Ha + Ha = AHA! The role humour plays in the creative process
• Changing perspectives: How creativity can break down walls and build stronger teams
• Idea-building language and behaviours: What keeps creativity and change fl owing at work?
• Idea-squashing language and behaviours: What blocks change and creativity at work?
• Three key ways to turn great ideas into action
• Five critical motivational triggers that will help employees embrace change and new ideas
• Creating a “go the extra inch” and a “go the extra mile” mindset to leading change
The Humour Advantage: Why Some Businesses Are Laughing All The Way to the Bank
Why This Topic?
Based on Michael’s wildly successful book The Humor Advantage, this presentation is geared towards business owners, managers, HR managers, front line customer service employees and any business employees interested in how to brand their business effectively to attract employees and customers, provide outrageously effective customer service and boost sales to new heights. It’s about leveraging your humour advantage to get the results you want…and the results you deserve!
Why Your Event?
Not only is this presentation wildly entertaining and guaranteed to keep participants awake and laughing, it’s packed full of inspiring business success stories from around the world and jammed to the brim with real-world, relevant results that participants can put to work immediately.
To help businesses grow and achieve outrageous results. Michael loves working with business leaders who are passionate about growing their business, who want to exceed their customers’ expectations and who want to build an inspiring business that leaves a lasting legacy. Michael’s goal is to inspire audience members by sharing real world examples and to give audience members the ideas and tools they need to act upon that inspiration
• How to brand your business as a great place to work to attract top talent
• Hiring with humour and for humour: Why great businesses hire first and foremost for attitude
• Why customer service is potentially your #1 competitive advantage
• Customer service is an inside job: How great companies build a service-fi rst culture
• How to brand your business to stand out from the competition and attract new customers
• Social media branding: The do’s and don’ts of using humour to stand out with your social media
• Why pay for advertising when leveraging the humour advantage can attract free publicity?
• Five keys to effective branding with humour
• Why you need to STOP providing good customer service!
• Five reasons phenomenal customer service matters more than ever
• The difference between long-term customers and truly loyal customers
• The two things every business needs to do consistently to stand out from the herd with its service to create passionate, loyal customers
• Would you like a pet frog with that? How humour helps boosts sales
• Adding humour to every point of customer contact
• The importance of going the extra inch and going the extra mile with your customers
“Mike Kerr held the full attention of our Senior Management Team for a full FOUR hour presentation – no small accomplishment! His delivery style is highly energetic, and the information he imparts with flair and humor are applicable to everyday life and work situations. Mike’s approach to management is a fantastic philosophy that I have encouraged my team to carry forward since our November 2008 meeting. I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews from the team, and absolutely recommend Mike’s fabulous persona without hesitation.”
Martine Rothblatt, Chairman & CEO, United Therapeutics
“Mike’s ability to bring an audience together and demonstrate the value of humour in the workplace is exceptional.”
“ We left our time with Michael feeling energized and more like a FUNancial institution. If your organization doesn’t see the value of infusing humour at work, they certainly will after a presentation from Michael Kerr!”
Integris Credit Union
“Mike was awesome! Loved the content, alignment with the audience and passionate delivery.”
Gordon Food Service
“ Michael brought the room immediately to life and everyone thought he was hilarious. People said he was exactly what we needed at that point and that his message aligned well with our culture and gave us good ideas to build on.”
Farm Credit Canada
“Many of the head offi ce staff thought you were the best keynote speaker we’ve ever had! Thank-you for your invigorating and energizing keynote presentation.”
Bell Canada (x3)
Shell Canada Ltd.(x4)
KPMG Imperial Oil (x3)
Credit Union Central of B.C.
Sheraton Hotels (x4)
Telus Canada (x2)
C.B.C. Radio and Television
General Electric Harris
Days Inn International
Tree Top Ltd.
Bumper to Bumper
Saskatchewan Credit Union
Suncor Enbridge (x2)
Investment Planning Counsel
Fluor Canada Ltd.