Ryan Walter is an expert on team synergy, performance and leadership to share a more engaging workplace culture. His keynote speech will leave teams revitalized, inspired, and ready to create a better future.
Ryan became the NHL’s youngest-ever captain as a Washington Capital. He was drafted #2 in the world. He was an NHL All-Star and Stanley Cup Champion with the Montreal Canadians. He went on to become NHLPA vice-president and NHL Man of the Year when playing for the Vancouver Canucks.
His career included broadcasting, writing, coaching, acting and being the president of a professional hockey team.
Ryan’s 17 years in hockey both in playing and coaching qualifies him to speak to these three topics. He has a Master of Arts Degree in Leadership/Business and authored five books. He created the board game Trade Deadline Hockey and is a regular contributor to both online and print magazines and newspapers. Ryan serves on the Hockey Canada Foundation’s Board of Directors and is a member of the Seton Hall Stillman School of Business Leadership Advisory Council.
Tomorrow’s CULTURE turn’s on Today’s LANGUAGE
- Come to work or come to WIN?
- Inside a losing dressing room
- Inside a winning dressing room
- The 5 Mindsets that reveal the 5 Language Types in your Culture
- All culture runs on rumours
- What differentiates a professional players from amateur players?
- Culture turns on Conversations
- Culture SHIFT or Culture Drift?
The Five Mindsets of Team! – Deeper awareness for Effective Leaders
- Great leaders lead Metacognition (getting their people to think about their thinking)
- Discovering 5 thinking types that run Team Culture
- The 5 Mindsets that reveal the 5 Language Types
- Culture runs on conversations
- Activating the SHIFT
- Preventing the Drift
- Influencing culture through language
Leading Performance ENERGY! – Workers focus on TIME, Winners focus on ENERGY
- Ryan’s performance journey
- The defining moment- blowing a knee at 16.
- Leading Time or Leading Energy?
- Learning Resilience
- The Montreal Canadiens and Mental Toughness
- Understanding what drives ENERGY
- The HEART & MIND sides of Performance
Leading the SHIFT – Increasing Resilience, Activating Agility
- From a Team struggling to winning the Stanley Cup
- What I learned from Guy Lafluer
- Understanding the Performance Process
- SHIFTING mindsets
- Building Agile Awareness
- Brainstorming what creates HQL – the highest quality of life
- Abe Pollin- The story of SHIFTING
Activating HUNGRY – Discovering Personal Purpose and Passion
- Key Focus- Key Awareness – Key Discovery = Purpose & Passion
- Why do some kids play in the NHL?
- Is talent the only reason?
- INNER GAME – Intrinsic Motivators, The HEART and MIND of Success
- OUTER GAME – Prioritizing Iterative Action
- TEAM GAME – Why being a team-player in today’s workforce “ROCKS”
- Staying HUNGRY is one key factor to an amazing life!
“Your excellent stage presence complemented your style of delivery and allowed you to easily engage everyone in the room. Your presentation, which took real-life hockey and “locker-room” experiences and then adapted them to the challenges that employers and leaders face, captured the attention of our attendees and has left a lasting impression.
Having performed an annual convention year-after-year, we are in position to review numerous speakers and presenters. We are confident that you will rank as one of our most energized speakers in our recent history.
It was a delight to work with you Ryan and it would be our pleasure to recommend you to other groups and organizations that are looking for a dynamic presentation on leadership.“
John Schmeiser – Canada West Equipment Dealers Association
Recently Ryan Walter spoke at our safety banquet on the role of leadership in safety. However, through his engaging, open, honest approach he also taught us about great leadership. Inspirational leadership. After listening to Ryan many people believed in their ability to become great leaders and began re-evaluating their role within the organization. In twenty plus years of attending safety functions this was the first one in which people left feeling empowered and invigorated. Ryan created that energy in our people.
David Lebeter – BC Hydro
“The principles for success that Ryan outlines are timeless and know no boundaries. Whether your team is your family, the Montreal Canadiens, or a high tech engineering and sales team, I believe these principles are the foundations required for high performance and extraordinary achievement.”
“I want to thank you again for your outstanding presentation to our convention delegates at our Annual General Meeting in Victoria. Your presentation generated many supportive comments and you certainly made a positive impact on our people. Your excellent stage presence complimented your style of delivery and allowed you to easily engage everyone in the room. Your presentation, which took real-life hockey and “locker-room” experiences and then adapted them to the challenges that employers and leaders face, captured the attention of our attendees and has left a lasting impression. Having performed an annual convention year-after-year, we are in position to review numerous speakers and presenters. We are confident that you will rank as one of our most energized speakers in our recent history.”
Canada West Equipment Dealers Association
“Ryan Walter is a natural leader. His no nonsense style, sense of humour and many real life examples make learning fun. And, more importantly, make you want to put into practice what you have learned. He gives you the confidence you can succeed and become a much better leader.”
Peace River Generation
Insurance Association of BC